- Hays School
- Lodge Pole School
- Mission School
Hays/Lodge Pole High School - Hays Montana
The Hays/Lodge Pole School District is located in North-central Montana on the northern slope of the Little Rockies Mountains on the southern end of the Fort Belknap Indian Reservation. The district is comprised of the communities of Hays, on the northwest slope, and Lodge Pole, on the northeast slope. The Missouri River is 25 miles to the south and provides recreational boating and excellent fishing at the James Kipp State Park which is located at the Fred Robinson Bridge on the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge. Hunting is another pastime enjoyed by the residents with Hays and Lodge Pole located in the middle of some of the best deer, antelope and elk hunting in Montana as well as much of the big game Big Sky Country is famous for. The historic Bears Paw Mountains can be seen in the west. Lewis and Clark were among the first explorers to see the area. Also located in Hays is Saint Paul=s Mission which was founded in the mid to late 1800's by the Jesuits and is home to the Mission Grade School. The Catholic Church is constructed of sandstone and lumbers and is truly a treasure of the Little Rockies.
The district is comprised of 25 Certified Staff and 31 Classified Staff. The staff is multi-cultural and originates from Pennsylvania, Oregon, Texas, Colorado and Montana. The Elementary is located in Lodge Pole and the Middle School/High School is located in Hays. A new K-8 Grade School has been recently constructed in Lodge Pole. There are five housing units in Lodge Pole. There is a spacious building that houses the Middle School/High School in Hays. There is also a bus barn at the High School. There are four condominium style buildings that provide 16 units to house district staff.
There are currently 235 students enrolled district wide. The student population is predominantly Native American. The students primarily trace their tribal lineage to the Gros Ventre (White Clay) and Assiniboine (Nakoda) Nations. A significant number of our students are Chippewa and are descendants of Chief Little Shell.
The district offers an excellent fringe benefits package. This includes MUST health insurance that currently pays a large percentage of the premium, assistance with moving expenses, a sign-on bonus, state retirement program, and a competitive salary ($24,624 base). District Housing for teachers is also available at reduced rent with utilities included.
Lodge Pole School - Lodge Pole Montana
Sorry No Backgroud Information At This Time
Lodge Pole Elementary School Currently Closed As Of 2012-13
Merged With The Hays Highschool Building
Mission School - Hays Montana
February 15-22, 1894 Excerpt taken from Chinook Opinion
St. Paul's Mission, in the Little Rockies, is well appointed in the matter of buildings. The Mission is located on People's Creek about one-fourth of a mile below where it comes out of the Little Rockies. It is built on the creek bottom which is from one-half to three-fourths pf a mile in width. The principal parts of the buildings are logs, weather boarded but they have one fine stone building four stories with Mansard rood, which cost about $12,000. This is occupied by the boys. It is the intention of the authorities in the spring To build another the same size for the girls and also a stone church. At present they have about 140 pupils.
The first Mass in the Little Rockies was said on the first of May, 1886 by Father Fredrick Eberschweiler, S.J. in honor of the Queen of May. Cyprian Mott, a former guide to Father De Smet, S.J. was Father's guide along with two Indians. The four arrived that morning at the location which became the home of St. Paul's.
The school continued to grow with the aid of Jesuit Volunteers even to the addition of a Head Start Program. In 1953 St. Paul's Mission was selected as the Church of the Year", when Father F.E. Simoneau, S.J. was pastor and Father A. Willebrand, · S.J. Co-Pastor. The last final Improvement had been made to the school building. It was a completely modernized building - central heating, electricity throughout, walk in deep freezer, lounge for the high school, cold and warm water, a beautiful science room donated by Bishop Condon which took up half the attic, several high school classrooms; well I equipped as any school should be. The Sisters Convent was also built at the request of Bishop Can don In 1962. Now the Sisters thought they could relax and enjoy the fruits of their labors. But the demons of fire had something else in mind for on the morning of December 5, 1973, the entire school, and half of the Sisters' convent was destroyed by fire. The Sparkill Dominicans joined the staff at St. Paul's Mission.